+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top Operating Switch

Top Operating Switch

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and club. I just purchased a '59 Skyliner and am looking for the top operating toggle switch that mounts under the dash. Does anyone know if this part is avaliable, or anyone that has one for sale.
    Thanks,
    Ron Clement

Hi Ron

If you do not get a reply here on the forum try a wanted ad in the Skyliner, not all the members use this forum. You could also try some of the vendors such as Jerry Miller Classic Cars and some of the others that do full restorations. If you cannot find an original I think you could retrofit another top switch with the toggle action, if the polarity was correct. Some other model newer Fords such as the Mustangs used a toggle switch and with the factory knob installed on the Skyliner I don't think you could tell the difference. Perhaps somebody else has a better idea but these are just a couple of thoughts.

Good luck,
    Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply. My switch has been replaced and I think it is kind of suspect. I have the original factory knob and would like to have the factory switch also. I'm new to the Skyliner world and am trying to educate my self as quickly as possible. I'll check out some of the other sources you suggested.

Ron C.

The switch is a single pole double throw. The power wire 12 volt constant is on the center terminal with the outer terminals being terminated to the top up and the top down wire. You can check the switch with a volt meter or test light by grounding one end and testing for power to the outer terminals while operation the switch.

My guess on intermittant top operation is worn and grounding wiring inside the top. I have to replace the entire harnass as there were 5 or 6 bare spots grounding to the top.

Switches seldom go but a substitute switch can be had at any parts store.

Good Luck

Steve

+ Reply to Thread