+ Reply to Thread

Thread: General Judging Rules

General Judging Rules

Hi guys,
    I'm a newbee on this forum, but very glad to have found it. I'm not a member of the IFRC at this time, but I'm considering it. If I may, as a non-member, I'd like to ask some advice.
    My dad bought a '59 Fairlane Skyliner in 1960. It was not new when he bought it. I believe it had been used as a 'dealer-car' or 'demonstration model'. At any rate, although slightly used it was like new. My dad kept the car in the garage and rarely drove it. Through the years, it was maintained as necessary but never restored. When he passed in 1994, I bought the car from my mom.
    Because of some nasty damage to the paint, I opted to have the car repainted by computer matching the Torch Red and Colonial White. Everything else is pretty much original on this nice, 38,000 mi car.
    I have no plans to have the car judged or sell the car. I would however like to keep from making any blatant mistakes as far as the value of the car. So...here's my question. Is there any reason to hang onto the original pieces/parts that I replace? So far, everything I've had to do maintenance-wise, I've been afraid to toss out the old parts. I kept the original brake shoes, the original FoMoCo shocks, the voltage regulator, the fuel pump etc. One of the headlights is not original, but I kept the old one. Is this a waste of time (as my wife keeps telling me) and garage space?
    This may sound like a stupid question I guess. I'm pretty familiar with the antique motorcycle hobby though and believe me, those guys (I include myself) value the original air in the tires.
    Also, is there a way I can get the 'rule-book' for judging so don't have to keep asking silly questions?

Thanks,
    Clark
    Last edited by droptopford; 12-05-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Nice to see you have found the Skyliner forum. I suggest you join the club. The club is more than cars as it is more about the people who own them. That said with membership you will be able to purchase the restoration guide. In this book it details what is acceptable for "showcase" judging and what would result in a deduction. They are many other benefits such as the monthly Skyliner magazine, membership roster and annual convention. Cars are only original once and keeping them that way is a good investment. Original brake shoes can be relined and fuel pumps rebuilt. I would keep those and other refurbishable parts if you can.

+ Reply to Thread