+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Want more brake pedal

Want more brake pedal

Last summer I finally got my 58 skyliner on the road. When stopping i sure have to press the brakes hard. so this winter i put another new master cylinder in, re-bled the brakes and i still don't have as much pedal as i like. I ran a red light in town, because when hitting the brakes i realized i wasn't going to stop. all wheel cylinder have been rebuilt and there is no leaks. what i was wondering is do i need to replace the brake booster, that is the only thing i haven't replaced yet.

thanks for your help

Ray Martin

Have you tried adjusting the brake shoe's?

thanks for the response. I had checked them before and the self adjuster seemed to be working correctly. It just seems that I need to pump the pedal when i am trying to stop.

thanks again
    Ay Martin

Ray:

Sounds like air is stiil in the lines. The booster would give you a hard pedal but would take more force to apply the brakes. Have you replaced the hoses? They can deteriorate internally and complicate bleeding and stopping.
    Harry W
    (Penn Allegheny, East Coast, Buckeye Chapters)
    It's a dry heat!

Harry

You are right, the booster would make pressing the pedal hard in order to stop the car. I believe I replaced the hoses a while ago since this car has been a work in progress for the last 12 years. I guess I'll check the hoses and then rebleed the brakes again to rule that out.

thanks again for you response and input.

Ray M

Ray,
    The MC for PB is different than the std MC. (Larger bore). 58's didn't come w/self adjusters. If you have the underdash bellows type unit a rebuild kit is now available. Pedal should be low on these units (not much travel and easy pedal effort). Are you sure the linings are not fading or drums glazed? Check the MC size first.
    Good luck,
    Ron B.

Thanks for the response Ron B. I went back and readjusted the brakes and yes the front ones needed tightened up. Also re-bled them while I was at it. I do have more brake pedal and the car is more resonsive. The lining are new and drums are turned. I have the under the dash bellow. I believe the MC I bought has the larger bore. I agree with one of the posters in that if the booster wasn't working that pressing the brake pedal would take all your strength to get the car to stop.

thanks for your help

Ray M

Checking the booster is very easy. With the engine off, step on the brake pedal a few times to purge any vacuum in the system. Then, step on the pedal, and holding a constant pressure on the brake pedal, start the engine. If the booster is working, you'll feel the brake pedal drop about a half inch or more. If you don’t feel it drop, something’s wrong. This works on any car with a vacuum boost system.

Art

thanks for the advice. I'll definately check that out.

Ray M

+ Reply to Thread