+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Repair or replace a Power steering power cylinder

Repair or replace a Power steering power cylinder

Hi all I will be needing to do something about the leak coming from my power cylinder . Ive been told replacing the part is usually better than trying to put a kit in. I'm wondering where is the best place to get a cylinder. Any ideas would be appreciated. Bill

Bill,
    If the shaft chrome is in good condition it's an easy rebuild. If not buy a new one.
    Ron B.

Replacing the power cylinder.

Hi Again I appreciate the help I get. Iv'e decided to replace my leaking power steering cylinder with a new one. Should the new cylinder be primed with fluid before I install it? Does it matter? Thanks Bill

Bill:

After replacing the cylinder and while you are still up on the jackstands, fill the PS pump resevoir and slowly turn the steering wheel from lock to lock. The system will purge the air after several lock-to-lock cycles. Cycle slowlyso as to not foam the oil, and don't let the resevoir get too low. Pre-filling the cylinder will shorten the process. A little fluid in both ends of the cylinder would prevent having the seals sliding in a dry cylinder.
    Harry W
    (Penn Allegheny, East Coast, Buckeye Chapters)
    It's a dry heat!

+ Reply to Thread