+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 58 Retractable problems

58 Retractable problems

Hello

I wonder if someone know what’s up with the top of our 58, sometimes the two screws in top of the windshield wont start when I retract the roof. When this happens everything works well until you can hear the two screws in rear of the roof starts bumping on the threads, just because it haven’t been unscrewed above the windscreen. If I just release the button and start again I can hear the two screws starting above the windshield start and it jumps a few more times in the rear and after this it retract ok.

lars

Hello again

Just for information, when I’m take the roof up again it just work perfect. Strange??

Lars

This is a "can't hurt" suggestion. With the roof closed, remove the rear roof interior trim. There are two bolts holding the rear roof screws to the roof. Loosen both on both sides and then retighten them. If the roof screws are binding, this will relieve the strain .
    Harry W
    (Penn Allegheny, East Coast, Buckeye Chapters)
    It's a dry heat!

Thanks Harry

I will test this, but can the rear roof screws cause front screws won’t start every time?

Lars

I am guessing that the front screws are binding when all of the screws are engaged. The front screws are driven by one motor and the rear screws each have their own motors so the front motor may not have enough power to overcome the resistance. The situation can be aggrevated or relieved depending on how the car is twisted in various parking situations.

My Skyliner was kicking the breaker on closing. After resetting, I would raise the top about 6 inches, and then it would close without incident. There is only one point where there are two action taking place at the same time. That point is when the roof is being screwed down, the package tray is folding. The bind in my roof caused the maximum amps to be exceeded. When the roof was raised 6 inches the p-tray did not move. When the roof was then closing, the tray finished its motion and there were sufficient amps availabe to close the roof. BTW, it only took 2 years to discover the that real problem was binding and there have been no issues ten years since.

Again, it's a "can't hurt" suggestion. You can also try a little lubrication.
    Harry W
    (Penn Allegheny, East Coast, Buckeye Chapters)
    It's a dry heat!

+ Reply to Thread