+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replace freeze/core plugs, engine in car, '57 312 Skyliner

Replace freeze/core plugs, engine in car, '57 312 Skyliner

In my '57 Skyliner, 312, the RH rear, just above the starter, freeze/core plug is leaking. Can this be replaced with the engine in the car?

Should I replace all 4 of the plugs, or just when one leaks? Could all the plugs be replaced with the engine in the car?

I'm open to all suggestions. I've never done this before. Thanks in advance.

Tony C in New Braunfels, TX
    '57 Skyliner
    '56 T-Bird

Tony,
    yes it can be replaced in the car, however it is not easy. Fortunately, the one you have leaking is the easiest. You are best to replace all plugs. If you want to do just the one now then do the rest after this show season, that is a possibility. Hope this helps.
    Bill

If one is bad the rest aren't far behind. You can use a rubber one for quick easy fix and replace them all when you have the engine out later.
    Ron B.

Thanks Bill! Looking at them all, there isn't much room. I'm wondering how to insert them. Not much room for a block & hammer. Maybe I can find something about the same size as the inside of the plug & use that to drive them in? I can't get my local garage to give me an estimate. I don't think they want to mess with it.

Quote Originally Posted by WILLS RESTORATIONS View Post
    Tony,
    yes it can be replaced in the car, however it is not easy. Fortunately, the one you have leaking is the easiest. You are best to replace all plugs. If you want to do just the one now then do the rest after this show season, that is a possibility. Hope this helps.
    Bill

Thanks Ron. Your answer is exactly what I'm thinking. I think I had better do all 4.

Tony C in New Braunfels, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
    If one is bad the rest aren't far behind. You can use a rubber one for quick easy fix and replace them all when you have the engine out later.
    Ron B.

Well ... I had all 4 replaced with brass ones to the tune of $400 BUT it saved me lots of bruised knuckles & cursing. )
    TonyC in New Braunfels, TX

Tony,
    glad to here you did them all. Considering the labor involved, $400. Sounds like a very fair price.
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread