+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas tanks problem.

Gas tanks problem.

Hi

Last year I had a problem when filling the tank, when it’s full it leaks a lot. Today I removed the tank, not fun,,,. The o-ring between the tank and filler neck is gone, searched a lot but can’t find where to buy a new one. Just wonder if anybody here know where to look? 58-Skyliner.

Lars
    Last edited by Lars-57; 04-02-2011 at 01:48 PM.

Tank Gasket:

Hi Lars: I had to replace my tank & I got it from concourse they might have them. Not in the magazine but on the box (Made in china) all most sent it back!!! This is a pain in the butt to get the O-ring to stay in the grove. After many failed attement's I found something that worked well. Put the O-ring on then take 3/4 inch masking tape & build up behind the o-ring about 1/2 the thickness of the o-ring grease the o-ring & install. This worked in my sitution. Good luck Gregg...

Dennis-Carpenter.com makes them

Quote Originally Posted by skylinerman58 View Post
    Hi Lars: I had to replace my tank & this is a pain in the butt to get the O-ring to stay in the groove. After many failed attement's I found something that worked well. Put the O-ring on then take 3/4 inch masking tape & build up behind the o-ring about 1/2 the thickness of the o-ring grease the o-ring & install. This worked in my sitution. Good luck Gregg...
    Gregg, are you talking about the "gas tank neck grommet", part B7A 9080-B that attaches to the inside of the quarter panel? I need to know how the filler neck attaches to the tank. Is this just a large rubber "fuel" hose that is clamped to both the tank and the filler neck or is there some special way of attaching both? AND can the filler neck be left in place when I replace my tank? I welcome any advice on replacing my tank.
    Thanks......TonyC in New Braunfels, TX

Tony, There is an o-ring that goes onto the filler neck prior to inserting into the gas tank. This is what seals the filler neck to the tank. The vent line uses a hose and hose clamps. The filler neck can be left in the grommet while replacing the tank but for a few extra dollars might as well replace.

Tony:

My '57 does not have an "O" ring but has a neck on the tank which connects to the filler neck that comes through the quarter panel. I replaced it with hose from NAPA. The only setback was that the leak actually was the gasket at the fuel gauge. It only happened when the tank was full. It was easily fixed through the access panel in the trunk.
    Harry W
    (Penn Allegheny, East Coast, Buckeye Chapters)
    It's a dry heat!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry W View Post
    Tony:

My '57 does not have an "O" ring but has a neck on the tank which connects to the filler neck that comes through the quarter panel. I replaced it with hose from NAPA. The only setback was that the leak actually was the gasket at the fuel gauge. It only happened when the tank was full. It was easily fixed through the access panel in the trunk.
    Thanks Dave & Harry. I hope my new tank has a neck. A picture on the site showed a neck.

TonyC in New Braunfels, TX

I have a 57' Skyliner and several years ago bought a new gas tank and sender as well as new fuel lines to the carburetor. Its not my first time putting in gas tanks as I've had to deal with the rubber o-ring on filler necks of, for example, my 57' Chevy. Anyhow, I have a gas leak on what I'd call the overflow hose on top of the tank connected to the filler neck (i.e. the hose the size of say your finger). Its one reason I want to get the tank, hoses, and sending unit changed. I've heard rumors that the size of the overflow hose is different on the filler neck side than on the gas tank side. Is this true or false? If its true, how in the heck do I go into an auto parts store and buy a gas hose with two different sized ends? What is the correct size, is it gas resistant, etc? There has to be an answer but I'm not sure what it is. This has kept me from doing this job. Also, on the filler neck o-ring, unfortunately it didn't come with the gas tank. Is that something a quality auto parts store should have on hand? I've had the new tank and sending unit sitting in a box for several years out of fear of taking the old tank out and not having the correct overflow hose available and o-ring. I also have a new gas line set too and wondered if its hard to change. If I did the tank, sending unit, overflow hose, and metal lines to the carb the car should be good for decades. Any thoughts?

I have a hoist. Is it possible to do this work without having to crack apart an exhaust pipe?

Thoughts and ideas would be appreciated!

I replaced the entire fuel system on my '57 from tank to carb. I got the tank from Concourse (be sure you get their mounting straps as well). The two big problems I ran into were the o-ring on the sending unit and running new stainless steel fuel lines.
    The o-ring that came with the sending unit was just impossible to mount as it was too thick. The original o-ring was a half o-ring: round on one side, flat on the other where it meets the flange on the sending unit. I ended up taking the o-ring and using a red hot razor knife, cut it in half. Then I was able to lock the sending unit in place. No leaks so far.
    I bought pre-bent fuel lines and didn't want to remove the body from the frame. The biggest problem was running the lines through the small gap between the frame and the body near the left rear wheel. I ended up cutting the line where it would end up half way between the tank and the motor. In order to connect the two half lines, I mounted my flaring tool on a Workmate bench and flared the lines in place. A real PITA, but it worked.

+ Reply to Thread