+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1958 Hubcaps

Question 1958 Hubcaps

Does anyone know what paint to use for the black portion of the hubcaps for a '58. I know that some places will restore these for you but was hoping to be able to do the majority of the work myself.

I would also be curious to see how much it would cost to get them restored per hubcap.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Kent

Kent, if you are going to do these your self, I hope you have a lot of patience! You or some one else doesn't matter, it's going to be painstaking! I sat and taped off each black rectangle. I scuffed the stainless area to be painted with 2500g paper, and painted the area's with a semi flat or satin black. Hope this help's you, good luck!

Thanks for the info. I'm debating the merits of working on these myself versus trying to find a much nicer set and paying top dollar or paying someone to restore them. Fortunately, I'm in no really rush to get them done.

Thanks again,

Kent

Bird Nest in Oregon has decals for the 58 wheel covers. www.tbirdparts.com, or call Fred Truax at 971-233-9000. The decals are on page 22 of their catalog. Ask Fred if they will work for you...he's very helpful.

Thanks for that info! I hadn't thought to look for that there. I've seen all sorts of other stuff on that site but never that.

The picture on their website for the decals is the correct hubcap. Is the decal set used to mask the stainless parts while you paint or is a set of black decals? I've seen other decal systems used for painting so I assume that is it. I requested a catalog from them and will try and give them a call in the near future to double check the application for my car.

Ford offered in 58 as an assy. The same hubcap that was stock on the 57 t-bird for the 58 ford . I ordered a set from a ford motorcraft parts dealer. I put them on my 58 skyliner . I like the look much better than the stock 58 hubcap ! I later replaced them with chrome wire wheels for a 57 t-bird . I like them even better ! !

+ Reply to Thread