+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1959 Deck Lid

Smile 1959 Deck Lid

On my '59, the deck lid will not open completely. The motor rubs on the stainless trim around the rear window. I have adjusted the switch to no avail. According to the shop manual, the large spring assists are weak. Can these be repaired or replaced? Does anyone re-manufacture them? I would think that if I purchased a used set, I would have the same problem that I have now. Thanks for any help. Homer

Just a thought: If your ajusting the deck open switch with the deck lid not fully open it would stop in the same position? Maybe try to energize the deck-open relay untell it is fully open then reajust the deck open switch. Hopefully the screw jack's are not moveing due to a weak floor. good luck & let us know how you come out. Gregg!!!

The first thing to look for is obvious restriction such as rust damage prior collision damage etc. The second thing to do is service the jacks often dirt or old grease will cause just enough over load to stall the system before the lift cycle completes.
    Hope that helps
    Dave

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by skylinerman58 View Post
    Just a thought: If your ajusting the deck open switch with the deck lid not fully open it would stop in the same position? Maybe try to energize the deck-open relay untell it is fully open then reajust the deck open switch. Hopefully the screw jack's are not moveing due to a weak floor. good luck & let us know how you come out. Gregg!!!
    Thank you Gregg. I will try that. Certainly sounds like a possibility. Will keep you posted.

Thank you Dave. That also sounds like good advise. I will keep you posted.

deck lid jacks

Quote Originally Posted by homerd43 View Post
    Thank you Dave. That also sounds like good advise. I will keep you posted.
    After thinking some more, if the deck lid jacks have ever been removed is there a possibility that the mounting brackets could have been replaced upside down? This can cause the deck lid to not open fully.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by AdviserDave View Post
    After thinking some more, if the deck lid jacks have ever been removed is there a possibility that the mounting brackets could have been replaced upside down? This can cause the deck lid to not open fully.
    Dave
    The jacks have not been removed since I have owned the car. Again, it sounds like good advise. Thank you again Dave. Homer

Okay Guys, I'm fixed again. What I had to do eventually was add an extension to the plunger on the deck open limit switch. The lid just would not go all the way up. And I dont know for certain that my switch is the correct or a replacement. All the worms gears were nice and clean, no weak floors. And thank you Gregg for the advice on making sure the lid was fully extended to begin with. I will probably be back again. LOVE MY '59 RETRACTABLE. Homer

+ Reply to Thread