+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adding power brakes to a 59

Adding power brakes to a 59

Hi,

I've collected the parts for adding the vacuum assisted brakes to my 59. This is the type with the bellows behind the brake pedal. I thought (incorrectly) that the hard part was over. I have recently found out that the vacuum canister does not mount in the engine compartment, on top of the inner fender, like the 57's but between the outer fender and the passenger compartment steel kick panel. Of course there is no access to this area. I tried to unbolt and lower the inner fender to gain access but gave up on that approach. Removing the outer fender is unthinkable. So the only solution I have come up with is to cut an access panel at bottom of the inner fender to allow the canister to slide into the space near the kick panel. This is not very appealing. Someone please tell me of an easier and less painful solution.

Thank you!

Bill A

Hi Bill
    I will give you my 2 cents worth however someone else may have a better idea. Since the vacuum tank would not have to be located in that position for the brakes to work you could relocated it out of site somewhere else or find a different style tank to hide. Anyway that is what I would do rather than cutting the inner fender. Also the power brakes use a 1-1/8 bore master cylinder just in case you didnt know?
    Good Luck Jim

Jim,

I was thinking the same way. Maybe I could fit it under the dash? Figured I would ask here first in case someone was down this road before. And yes, I have the 1 1/8 master cylinder.

Thanks,

Bill

I installed this tank in the correct location under the left front fender without removing the fender, although I may as well have done so. It's for sure a two man job. You need to pull the fender away from the car while your helper reaches inside to drill the holes in order to mount the tank (already attached vaccum hose by the way). Trust me, it can be done, just a royal pain in the keester.

Gary

+ Reply to Thread