Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dust covers for top jack

Dust covers for top jack

I broke a top jack and when I loosened the dust cover I noted a washer/gasket at the base of the shaft that allowed the cover to be held tightly on the jack. In the past,this had been taped with multiple layers of electrical tape. Is there a place to get replacements for these or must I try building up another from tape or other material?

Wahoo

I'm not sure if these are available - I don't beleive I've ever seen them advertised... however if they are available, I need a pair also as mine have nothing there at all...

Warren

Hi guys I dont know if this will help but the dust covers are available from Dean Kader in Yakima Wash phone # 509-248-2777 he may be able to help? Jim

wah2oo, I don't know if I can shed any light on the subject but here goes. The round piece you are describing is a round pressed fiber material with a hole in the center, I call them "donuts". They accually fit inside the dust cover at the top of the cover. The cover is stapled to the donut. Kind of a cheap design, but it is what it is! The bottom of the dust cover was held to the lip of the top jack with a huge hog ring. These donuts I believe are not available as repo's. I was thinking of useing a piece of wood, and painting it a rusty color, (I think that was original) and boring the center hole a few thousands larger than the original so it will slide easily on the upper shaft of the top jack. Hope this helps. Good luck!

I believe that Wahoo was referring to the lower end of the dust cover rather than the top end. i.e. where the dust cover meets the top jack and is held in place by the large spring hose clamp. On my 59, the dust cover does not fasten to the top jack properly with the result that when I operate the roof, the grip of the 'donut' drags the dust cover up the shaft, exposing the worm thread. The clamp fits around the dust cover OK, however is really sloppy fit over the shoulder on the top jack - like there is some sort of bush meant to fit on the shoulder so that the dust cover grips tight. I welcome any comments on a fix for this...

You could use duct tape around the shoulder on the top jack, just enough to take up the slop, then slide the dust cover over the shoulder, hiding the tape, and secure it with the hog ring.

All,
    Jerry's Classic Cars sells the donut's for both the rod and base ends of the jack screw. What he sells are plastic and are black in color but work perfectly. They are not in his catalog but he does sell them. I just installed a set on the car I am working on. See picture.

Thanks all. I'll give Jerrys a go...

Thanks Dave, I will get on it. I think Jerry may be located here in Pensacola. Thanks all for your input.

Wahoo

Jerry's Classic Cars & Parts, Inc.
    4094 McRay Avenue
    Springdale, Arkansas 72764
    Order line – 1-800-828-4584
    Customer Service / Information – 479-750-1681
    Fax Line – 479-750-1682

Closed Thread