+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 58 skyliner power brake master cylinder

58 skyliner power brake master cylinder

Hello All! I Need to replace my master power brake cylinder on my 58 Skyliner. It has the original master cylinder.
    I need to know the Ford part number and the size of the bore. Also need the bleeder tool and how the bleed it. And info as to where I can purchase it.

I really appreciate in help!
    Thanks in advance!!!

The shop manual explains how to bleed it. There is nothing special about it.

Here is a link to the bleed instructions online. http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/m...p7/07-006.html

I replaced the master cylinder on my 57 Skyliner a couple of years ago and here is what I remember from the installation:

1) The master cylinder manufacturer recommends a bench bleed of the cylinder before you install it. The process for the bench bleed was included with the packaging as I recall. You basically fill the cylinder and stroke the piston several times to remove air from the passages in the master cylinder.
    2) After installing the master cylinder and depending on whether you have broken into the brake lines for other maintenance (brake shoes, cylinders), you start with the farthest wheel from the master cylinder (right rear) and bleed it first by having someone pump the brake pedal up and hold it while you release the brake cylinder bleed fitting. You then proceed to the left rear, right front, and left front.

There are bleed kits that use a vacuum pump to pull the fluid from the lines, but I have never had much success with those.

O'Reilly Auto Parts has the master cylinder for the 57/58 Ford (1" Bore) listed for about $120 at the following link:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/b...aster+cylinder

Good Luck,
    Dave

Hey Fnixon Thank you for both of your replies really appreciate your help.

HI Dave,Thank you for your reply and the very detailed instructions for the bleeding process as well as the Oreilly link really appreciate your help!
    Tom

I have located a master cylinder,how ever it says for manual brakes. Is there a differance in the masters for manual and power brakes for the 58?
    Thanks
    Tom
    Last edited by SKYLINER 58; 07-21-2023 at 05:46 PM.

The original master for the power brake setup had a larger bore. I believe the non power brake master bore was 1".

I checked the shop manual and the master cylinder for the power assit it has a 1 1/8 bore. All the master cylinders i have found all have the 1 inch bore any idea where i can find one ?

Thanks
    Last edited by SKYLINER 58; 07-27-2023 at 07:11 PM.

+ Reply to Thread