+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel pump

Fuel pump

Hi,I have a 59 with a 332 engine.I’m replacing the water pump and had to move the air conditioner.There was the fuel pump hidden by the air conditioner.Now,I’m thinking of replacing it while I can get to it.Since I got the car I have to pump the gas 10-20 times to start.Don’t know if it’s the carb or pump.Anyway what is the right original pump,should it have a glass bowl,this one doesn’t. Thanks

Hi,
    You should not have to pump the gas 10-20 times to start the car if you are starting it often. If the car is sitting for a while then maybe 5 or 6 times and that's if its been sitting a while.

The pump is a mechanical pump and should start sending fuel as you crank. You can switch to an electric one to avoid this but you will need to power it.

Glass bowl is a original style and there are reconditioned ones out there. I have used them and they look great but for daily ease of use stay away from them as they tend to leak. Any parts store can give you a non-glass bowl one to fit your care easily.
    Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread