+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trunk lid

Trunk lid

My new to me 1957 Skyliner will be arriving at our home, sometime in the next few weeks. My car has a simple painted finish on the inside of the trunk lid. I have seen what appears to be a black colored material on restored Skyliners, inside the trunk lid. Would that be the bumpy felt material that car makers commonly used on the inside of the sheet metal, behind the upholstery. I ask this because I have a whole roll of it in my garage.

Fnixon, sent you a P.M.

Trunk Detailing

You may already have this information from droptopford, but what I used when I detailed the trunk on my 57 was the same material that is used as underlayment for roof shingles, which is a felt/tar composition material. You can purchase this from some suppliers pre-cut to fit your trunk lid, but I simply purchased a roll of the tar paper from a lumber store and cut it with a razor knife to fit the areas shown in the photo. I used a combination of contact cement and double stick carpet tape to secure it and so far (about 2 years) it has held up just fine. It does dress up the area quite a bit and looks much like the original factory sound deadening material.
    Attached Images

Thank You. I actually have two rolls of the factory material so I will be able to use up a small portion of it.

Fred

Thanks for your input olddave. No big secrets going on here; I just needed to share email addresses in order to send a decent pic of my interior trunk lid. I'd have posted the pic here but for some reason I haven't had much luck doing that on this site.

I had some trouble at first with the uploading procedure for photos. Next time try the steps below to see if it helps:

1) Click "Go Advanced"
    2) New drop down box, click "add files"
    3) Choose file from location on your PC, then "open" and "upload" and then select the uploaded file to place in "attachments" which is the lower half of the last dropdown box. After that click "done" and you should be able to post the reply (you can also choose a preview I believe)

Good Luck,
    Dave

Thanks Dave. I've tried to go through that process step by step as you described. And IIRC, I've had some success in the past. This time however, I keep getting a message that there is an error... invalid file cannot be uploaded. Probably something wrong on my end. No big deal.

Thanks Again,
    Clark

+ Reply to Thread