+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mystery Car in the Skyline February 2023 Issue

Mystery Car in the Skyline February 2023 Issue

I just received my February 2023 issue of Skyliner. On page 9 there is a photo of a red Mustang owned by Dave and Glorial Dudt, of Florida. It appears to have a trunk that opens from the rear. Would this be a Mustang retractable made from a kit from Ben Smith. I read that he produced some kits to do that but I couldn't check the validity of the story. If this is indeed one of them, the story of the owner and car would make a very interesting article.

That was indeed the retractable Mustang shown in the Feb. 2023 issue of the Skyliner and there was an extensive article from Dave Dudt explaining the development and limited production of kits for the project, which was unfortunately cancelled by Ford before it could be commercially produced. The article makes for a very interesting read.

I forgot to mention that the Dave Dudt article was included in the April 2020 issue of Skyliner that was also dedicated to the life and career of Ben Smith.

Thankyou. That is indeed a very rare car. I have only been a member here for a few months and I would really like to read a copy of that article.

Mystery Car

If you care to share your email on this forum or PM me with your email or mailing address, I can scan a copy and send it your way.

Dave

Dave,
    thank you for your offer. I received a scanned version from another member and I am so grateful to have received it!

Fred

I have now read the April 2020 issue of Skyliner. I am now so pleased that I asked my original question about the Ford Mustang retractable that appeared in the present February 2023 issue. I now know that the car is owned and was built by Dave Dudt. I really enjoyed Dave's article. The fact that Dave was and is a large part of the story about how these conversions came about is very special. It was also interesting to read about his close working relationship with Ben as they mode it happen. I also enjoyed reading about how over the years Ben and IFRC members interacted at their functions. This special issue of Skyliner is a keeper for me and it now has a special place in my automotive literature collection!

+ Reply to Thread