+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New (to me) 1959, previous members car?

New (to me) 1959, previous members car?

Hello all,

I recently picked up a 1959 Skyliner and it came with a multitude of patches, stickers, and buttons from the retractable club going back all the way to the 70's. I was curious if anyone knew of this car or its owner? The name I have on most of the pictures is a Mr. Everett White -- unfortunately, a google leads me to believe that he may have recently passed and that is why the car went up for sale.

Does anyone happen to recognize the car or know the prior owner? I'd be really interested in its history.

1959-skyliner.jpeg

Can't help with your quest but good luck! Nice looking car... welcome to the Skyliner Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by droptopford View Post
    Can't help with your quest but good luck! Nice looking car... welcome to the Skyliner Forum.
    Thanks! I've wanted a Skyliner for ages after seeing one at a local car show and it's the last of my "must have" classics... that and I'm now out of room to store any more! It looks to have been an older restoration with most of the interior still being original. It is in pretty good condition over all! I'm always interested in the history and stories of cars, so when I found the box with pins and club items, I was hopeful somebody knew them or the car.

Skyliner

Hello and Welcome to the IFRC Forum,

Your car is indeed a good looking example of the Skyliner. I found the following information on the Membership Roster issue of the Skyliner magazine. Everett White was still listed as an active member in the 2022 Roster issue and his address is shown on the attached scan of that list. Good luck with your Skyliner.
    Dave
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by oldave57 View Post
    Hello and Welcome to the IFRC Forum,

Your car is indeed a good looking example of the Skyliner. I found the following information on the Membership Roster issue of the Skyliner magazine. Everett White was still listed as an active member in the 2022 Roster issue and his address is shown on the attached scan of that list. Good luck with your Skyliner.
    Dave
    Thanks! Sadly, I believe that confirms my fear that the prior owner did indeed pass on, as the information matches the obituary I found on google. It has a recent club sticker in the window and with all of the pins and buttons, I imagine they had been around the club for quite some time. It looks to have been very well taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicRaT View Post
    Thanks! Sadly, I believe that confirms my fear that the prior owner did indeed pass on, as the information matches the obituary I found on google. It has a recent club sticker in the window and with all of the pins and buttons, I imagine they had been around the club for quite some time. It looks to have been very well taken care of.
    The way I see it, none of us really own them. We're just stewards, taking care of them for someone else to enjoy down the road.
    I did not know Everett White but I would be willing to bet he'd be happy knowing that the Skyliner he took care of is still in good hands.

Quote Originally Posted by droptopford View Post
    The way I see it, none of us really own them. We're just stewards, taking care of them for someone else to enjoy down the road.
    I did not know Everett White but I would be willing to bet he'd be happy knowing that the Skyliner he took care of is still in good hands.
    That's a good way of putting it... I'm pretty young compared to most around here in the classic car scene (still just barely in my 30's). I have a few Model A's and a couple of others already and I find in many cases I'm more interested in the stories behind many of these cars than the cars themselves. With how long it appears the previous owner had this one and apparently enjoyed the retractable club, I was really hoping for a chance to hear some of the stories behind it. It came with a handful of pictures of its restoration and a few car shows and what I assume were also some of the retractable club meet-ups. I'm hoping I can at least keep the cars legacy going and make it to a few of them myself.

Everett White

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Everette a few years ago. I spotted his 59 for sale in the club magazine, and drove up to Wisconsin along with my buddy to check out the car. At the time, Mr. White was in his middle 80's. His 59 was in good condition and the price he was asking was reasonable. The underside of the car looked fantastic. There was plenty of work already done as Mr. White at one time owned a repair shop of some kind. I passed on the car only because at that time, I really did not have the room to store one more car. For me, it's kind of the one that got away. Since then, I have purchased another 59 Skyliner, and am currently getting it ready for summer cruise nights here in northwest Indiana. Best of luck with your Skyliner previously owned by Everett White. You have a winner. Paul

Quote Originally Posted by December15,58 View Post
    I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Everette a few years ago. I spotted his 59 for sale in the club magazine, and drove up to Wisconsin along with my buddy to check out the car. At the time, Mr. White was in his middle 80's. His 59 was in good condition and the price he was asking was reasonable. The underside of the car looked fantastic. There was plenty of work already done as Mr. White at one time owned a repair shop of some kind. I passed on the car only because at that time, I really did not have the room to store one more car. For me, it's kind of the one that got away. Since then, I have purchased another 59 Skyliner, and am currently getting it ready for summer cruise nights here in northwest Indiana. Best of luck with your Skyliner previously owned by Everett White. You have a winner. Paul
    Thanks for that information. It is in pretty good condition overall still, although showing a little bit of wear from still having original interior and being what looks like a little bit of an older restoration. It has a handful of quirks I've slowly been taking care of, but I've not yet been able to do much with it due to the winters here. I noticed it had a recent club sticker from the IFRC which brought me here in hopes of finding any information on it.

+ Reply to Thread