+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GEN light staying on when key is off

I don't want to complicate this thread too much but, I received my charging/battery voltage indicator LED , and it is just want I wanted. If the static battery voltage is really low, it will show red. If it is slightly down it will show yellow and once the charging system provides a proper voltage, it registers green. It has other features to monitor extreme high voltages etc. Since I have taken delivery of my 1957 Skyliner, and it is outfitted with an alternator with no charging light indicator, I am going to install this in the dahs, in it's place.

I want to update this post. I found out that my Skyliner does have a GEN light. I believe it has a Motorcraft 3G alternator. Doing some research I now believe that these alternators used in original equipment configurations used a 500 ohm resistor in parallel with the bulb. This ignition feed through the bulb initially energizes the alternator upon startup. Without the resistor, when the bulb burns out, the alternator will not function. This could be very nasty on a trip away from home. Therefore I am planning to add the resistor.

+ Reply to Thread