+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New member - Glad to be with you all

New member - Glad to be with you all

Hello everyone. I just wanted to say hello and express how glad I was to find this forum. I purchased my 57 Skyliner based on my infatuation with the retractable hard top.

One of my other classics is a 56 Continental MKII which I've owned for many years and, for which I'm a member on the MKII Forum.
    In researching the history of the MKII I came across the fact that Continental once developed a retractable hard top for that car in the mid to early 50's and I'm lead to believe that the mechanism for that development was then worked into the 57-59 Skyliners. This option was never offered nor further developed since this option on the Continental would drive up the cost of one of the most expensive cars in America which already had a $10,000 price tag and was purported to currently cost $1,000 more to build than for which it sold. retract.jpg

Hello chucklutz and welcome to this forum. Interesting story about the development of the Skyliner top mechanism. I've heard that before but hadn't seen that particular pic... cool! Wonder what became of that MKII prototype.

This is a useful forum with some good knowledgeable participants. Not much activity though. Don't take it personally if any questions/comments you might have go unanswered for a while.

thanks.
    There was only one of these cars "mocked up" and I'm pretty sure it wasn't even a car but offically the story goes that it was disassembled and scrapped. There have been rumors floating about that it's in a Michigan garage somewhere.
    As for the "pace of play" here on this Forum, it is what it is and futhermore it is what the members make it. I will not always contribute if I can't add something but I will always keep up with the postings.
    Currently I'm trying to work out a few things with my 57 which is at my home in Lake Tahoe (one the best places to enjoy it). I'm having problems with sloppy steering which I'll get into here in the appropiate section here.

+ Reply to Thread