+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you think anyone would want original rims?

Do you think anyone would want original rims?

my 59 is converted to 15" and I'm not going back, so I have the original rims. Do you think that anyone would want them, free for the cost of shipping? I can post in Skyliner mag but don't want to go to the trouble if just not worth it to anyone to pay for shipping. thx

Nice of you to offer that. Hopefully someone will want the 14s.

If you don't mind, I'd like to change the subject slightly... How do the 15 inch rims fit clearance-wise, and what vehicle are they from originally?
    I swapped the 14 inch rims on my old 58 Pontiac for 15s off of a Caddy and liked the ride much better.
    Can't picture doing it on the Skyliner though unless somebody makes 15 inch hubcaps in the '59 style.

14" wheels

I don't mind responding - but still would like feedback if there is comment on the original topic...

So, I actually bought the 59 as the owner was in the middle of resto-modding. the 15" wheels were already in place. done as I was told particularly to get disc in front. don't know what vehicle they are from. Most of the front end work was already done.
    I don't have a clearance problem on the fender, buuut the restomod had also put in stronger springs with the now installed FE 390, so it was raised up. the front 'clearance' issue is actually that the turning radius was reduced as the tires now hit the front (upgraded) sway bar. bigger, and probably fatter, tire.
    that of course made the car look slightly low in the rear. I didn't have a clearance problem with the 15s in the back, but to get it level looking - especially with the top in the trunk - I added modified air shocks and raised the rear about 1 1/2". I probably could have modified/resprung the rears, but even in Dallas there are few that do that kind of thing.
    Hope that helps.

Ah yes, and I could NOT find original hubs in 15s. So, either I make them myself or deal with an alternative - which I did using early 60s Galaxie hubs. You can see them ( and the clearance) in this year's November calendar picture.

Thank you for the detailed response!
    And now... back to the original subject: 14 inch rims, free for the cost of shipping.

I am interested, can you send me a photo of the wheel? Cokefirst@aol.com Thank you
    -

Hi I might know someone interested in at least 1. Can you send a picture please
    Jruing7@aol.com

Lorkowski@gmail.com
    Do they have the fomoco logo on a dimple between the bolt holes?
    If so I’ll buy whatever nobody else wants.
    Had a real hard time finding these when i was looking a few years ago.

+ Reply to Thread