+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1958 Bench Seat Upholstery Style/Appearance

1958 Bench Seat Upholstery Style/Appearance

I am about to pull the trigger on getting new upholstery for my skyliner (both front and back seat benches). I obtained the original red fabric from SMS (7 yards!!!!). I would like some feedback and comments in regards to how I should finish these off. Judging isn't my top priority, but getting a nice look that doesn't look out of place is my goal.
    Attached is my original seat. Should i go with the same look? Should i pleat the fabric?
    should i go with a different look (example2 attached)?
    Thoughts/comments/different suggestions??
    Attached Images

I'll offer a comment or two just for the sake of conversation (I hate seeing these posts go unanswered).

Hard to tell from the pictures, but your original seats don't look all that bad. Looks like the plastic front seat-cover is ripped? A good upholstery guy can replace the cloth part and re-pad the seat(s) without messing up the original vinyl part.
    You say judging isn't your "top priority", but you must have some interest in originality. Otherwise why go to the trouble of finding the original red fabric?
    I don't really see a "different look" in the second picture other than the color.

Ultimately... you gotta do it the way you want it. Good luck!

Thanks for the comments! I also hate seeing a bizzilion views and NO COMMENTS. argh!
    In regards to my original seats - the fabric is super faded! The new fabric against the existing is night and day! The drivers side fabric is torn and could use some padding as well, so i figured since i'm replacing the fabric i might as well replace the vinyl too (since that white is faded too / won't wash clean/white).
    The second picture that was attached to the original post has the fabric sewn only where one would sit (i would say to make it look like a bucket seat and not a bench seat). What do you think about that style?

Quote Originally Posted by pomaranj View Post
    The second picture that was attached to the original post has the fabric sewn only where one would sit (i would say to make it look like a bucket seat and not a bench seat). What do you think about that style?
    Yeah... I see that now! I guess I'm not very observant sometimes.
    If we're just talking about preferences, I like the bucket seat style in pic #2. I also like pleated fabric idea you mentioned. Of course once you start down that road...

+ Reply to Thread