+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1958 Skyliner power steering reservoir cover

1958 Skyliner power steering reservoir cover

Gasket/seal in cover at hold down post wingnut. There's a tiny 1/16" factory hole in bottom of said recessed well. Mine has a solid rubber seal that covers this hole....steering works ok, but wonder why this factory hole is even there! Or should the gasket be a flexible type to allow the system to "breath" like a typical brake cover has? I don't think I have the "correct" gasket/seal....Help, thanks.

Mine has a steel flat washer under the wingnut. It is just slightly larger than the "recessed well" you mentioned, so it lies over that well, not in it. No rubber seal. There is a cork gasket under the cover, that rings the outer diameter of the cover where it meets the top of the reservoir. Mine is a '59 (332 Engine) but I believe the pumps are the same. Print on cover says FLUID LEVEL 1/4 INCH FROM TOP OF RESERVOIR.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by droptopford; 09-15-2021 at 08:17 AM.

Thanks for info. Our pumps are indeed the same only my cover gasket is rubber, not cork. If I remove the the post hole gasket, fluid leaks thru tiny hole past washer & wingnut. Works fine with gasket but don't feel the system is "breathing" as it should....very puzzling!

The day I checked out the cover on my power steering reservoir, I noticed that the fluid looked pretty dirty. Not surprising really; I would bet that most of that fluid was 60+ years old. So... I had the brilliant idea that I would change it. I got a squeeze bulb and sucked out all the old fluid and replaced it with new P.S. fluid... supposedly the correct (Prestone) fluid for Ford vehicles.

Not long afterward, I noticed a puddle growing under the left front tire. You guessed it... power steering fluid. Haven't figured out exactly where it's coming from yet... the pump itself or a seal, valve, hose, fitting somewhere else etc. I'm guessing one of these old parts didn't like the new type fluid.

Has this happened to any of y'all? Anyone have any ideas/suggestions as to what went wrong? Is the whole system ruined? Any help would be appreciated.
    Wish I'd have just left the old muddy crap in there.
    Last edited by droptopford; 11-09-2021 at 04:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread