+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top removal / seals replacement

Top removal / seals replacement

I have all the top seals to replace. I'm considering removing the roof - so that I can turn it over and clean out the channels, fix rust spots, etc. - vs trying to do it while partially up. Does anyone have any experience with doing it? Any tips appreciated, including "don't even think of doing that!" if appropriate. I would also probably remove the top liner panels and re-insulate the roof.
    Any experiences appreciated. thanks,

Replacing Seals now

I have opted to, and started to, replace the seals without removing the roof. After study there were few seals that would be too difficult to reach. And after starting, realized that some of what I thought was rust was glue residue that previous owners allowed to remain. So far I've caught/fixed leaks in the front window seal (shimming under the screw-in seal), and in the dash (from the seal under the where the wiper shaft exits the under dash below the window). Worst so far was the seal in the front/top of the deck lid behind the rear window. It needed to be closer to the lip of the deck than it was and didn't touch the body on one side when closed. Easy to find out if you close the deck with some thin paper cardboard between that seal and the body under the window and slide it back and forth along the deck lip. If there is no resistance at some point, you gotta problem. I think one of the hardest may be the seal(s) under the back part of the top. Yet to do.

+ Reply to Thread