+ Reply to Thread

Thread: zero power, everything kaput

zero power, everything kaput

Greetings all,

I know "kaput" is not a technical term, but yesterday showing a family gathering how cool the retractable on the 58 is (and raising and lowering it about three times,) I drove it back into the garage and shut it off. Showing the engine, an relative touched the positive battery cable and it was extremely hot. Not warm, but hot. We disconnected the battery cable.

Next day, I went out to fire it up and after a very slight crank noise, zilch. I thought I didn't tighten the battery cable enough. Nope, fine. Tried again. No power. No lights (dash or headlamps.)

Now my ignition switch is wearing out as I need to jiggle the key to get it to turn, but why the extremely hot battery cable?? Did we blow a fuseable link to the starter?? If so, where is that located.

Scheduled to have it in the garage on Monday the 19th, but the last thing I want is the garage racking up a ridiculous bill diddling with electrical problems.

I hoping it's just the ignition switch on the dash (I ordered one and it has arrived) or it blew the fusable link, but why would a fuse blow (if that is the problem?)

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Tom

"I hoping it's just the ignition switch on the dash (I ordered one and it has arrived) or it blew the fusable link, but why would a fuse blow (if that is the problem?)"

The ignition switch may be part of the problem but certainly not all of it if everything including your lights are "kaput"

I would start at the battery and make sure it has plenty of juice and it will take a load. You don't specify, but I assume you were running the engine for those Top cycles. Low generator output may have put undue strain of the battery.?. Just a thought. Good luck!
    Last edited by droptopford; 07-13-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks for responding! Yes, I always run the engine when putting the top up or down. If all it was was the battery, I'd be happy, but given that the + battery cable was so hot to the touch, I'm worried something else might be going on.

I have a guy coming over Thursday to see if we can eliminate some things before it goes on the flatbed to the garage on Monday.

Tom

What did the shop find out?

+ Reply to Thread