+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steering

Steering

Thinking about installing a Borgeson 14:1 ratio power steering box in my 59.
    Has anyone done this to their car?

The install seems pretty straight forward. Only modification required is shortening the steering tube a little.

Just out of curiosity why are you looking to change? I know the factory set up isn't perfect but A good steering box, power cylinder and Control Valve usually makes for a good drive.

I just don't like the way the steering feels. Everything under there is either new or rebuilt but it seems I'm always under the car trying to get something to stop leaking. This setup only has two hoses that run between the pump and steering box. I could not find anyone who put this on a 59 Ford but did find a few people who put it on other old cars and they said the steer felt tighter and even though it's still power you can still feel the road a little, kind of like a modern car. I bought a spare steering tube to modify. That's the only modification so it could always be put back to stock one day if I wanted too.

Angry stopping that leak ,

Several things didnt get passes down per generation , Here is a Few .
    in 1962 . my dads 59 sky control valve Started dripping (only while driving)
    i am just 4'1/2 years old but older than the ford. i listen to the whole deal.
    Colbert Duggins a mechanic at the local lincoln / edsel dealer said to my dad.
    Bill i can fix that leak in a snap , go to local dealer ( lou motors ford,) and get the seal kit.
    Colbert jacked up the left front with bumper jack , and took off wheel.
    he puts wheel under frame . so i sit down under bumper , (i'm 4 1/2 remember,
    he takes hoses /lines off .
    dad come back with the new seals . and says Bill i need a coffee cup and some dot3 brake fluid. colberts says dave soak the new seals For 15 min max . longer is not better . next install them Still Wet. reassemble .
    The corrosive eats off the mold release agent that surounds EVERY seal.
    he never had a problem with it , well into the late 60's , the car was mint
    in that day a pure 1000 point car, ..
    NExt on sky liner was the roof and deck gear box lube , he used wynns
    friction proofing lube . ,;poured the little box half full . and used sealer to seal it up but i dont know what.
    to sync both cables , spin both either Forward or reverse to take up slack ,
    And screw on motorends,
    I used a Brass oil pumper to oil Down the tops of the jacks 6 pumps . each side
    and dad put big oil catch rags on each side.
    This freed up the roof So Much he had to Let off the roof control switch
    and let the roof coast to the roof locks . and the same in the back
    let it coast to rear roof guides .
    it was smooth and quiet.
    to take slop out of the steering -- take off steering drag link . at the control valve end. At 20 deg of center on each side the steering should be sleightly harder to steer.
    with the steering wheel removed this is easily done .
    lower the pitman shaft only so far . and stop .
    if slop is still there the box needs new pitman shaft bushings ( not likely )
    the the roller ball tubes are streached or worn roller balls,
    the box gets at least 90-wt oil but i put STP in mine after it was heated up
    on wood stove. the large steering wheel Is far more smooth and relaxing to -
    drive . and at 70 -80 mph more relaxing too .
    my sons F-150 from 1999 steers so damn quick i'd swear it was a model t ford.
    its too fast to steer , and rather jerky, . and at daytona today
    they have Slow ratios . the fast ones got people Killed .

the skyliner is a heavy car from the rear axle back . if you add Quicker go- cart Steering , the the body Will Overreact . . with heavy over steer,
    these were set up as Neg Caster . Add Still more neg caster . er as much as you can get , with 1/4 deg More caster on the right wheel.
    and both tires near zero Camber . standard toe setting.

one other thing you can do Is the control valve Snap pin adjustment go one more notch tighter, then put in that pin . this makes the spool Less sluggish .

+ Reply to Thread