+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Backup light only work when lights are on?

Backup light only work when lights are on?

One of the last tasks I had on my project '59 is to get the backup lights working properly. Just discovered that they only work when the lights are on. Is that the way they are supposed to work?

If so, I'd guess that the designer's intent is to assist the driver in backing up at night, vs a warning/safety feature for other drivers.
    If not supposed to work that way, I guess I'll have to trace the wiring back and find out why it is that way.
    If by design, has anyone rewired to a 'on' circuit so that the light will work in reverse all the time??
    thanks for any replies...

Hi John, The lack of replies on this forum can be pretty frustrating (for me anyway!). When I get home later this evening, I will check out how my backup lights operate and get back to you.

If I remember correctly, they only come on when the lights (or parking lights) are on. Not sure though so I'll check it out when I can. My '59 is pretty much unmolested so I trust it to be functioning as originally designed.

Ok John... Just went out and checked. Backup lights only come on when the headlight switch is pulled out to either parking light position or all the way out.
    Ignition key does not need to be turned on for backup lights to work.
    Hope this helps.

Clark

Thanks Clark. That confirms what I suspected - as it appeared that there was no change to the wiring. However, I'm going to go ahead and wire the switch through to an "ignition on" so that I'll have backup lights when in reverse daytime as well. These days 'safety first' is my mantra.

I appreciate very much your regular reviews of the forum and providing guidance and assistance to us newbies. I really love the car - have wanted one since I first saw one in the early 60s. So, gotta know everything....(BTW love your handle!)

You're welcome and thanks John! I agree, safety comes ahead of absolute 'correctness' in keeping these vehicles on the road. There are several issues I've considered but haven't gotten around to. Disc in place of drum brakes, dual chambered master cylinder, maybe even install seatbelts in my old girl.

Glad you're enjoying your Skyliner. They are crowd pleasers and a fun blast from the past.

And by the way, I have very little technical knowledge to share here. My 'asset' to this community is just the fact that my '59 is very original and I can sometimes help with these type of questions. My Dad bought this one off of the dealership lot in 1960. I was 3 years old at the time and he brought me with him to pick it up. It's been well taken care of since then, but never restored. Mostly just routine maintenance. So... while mine may not be a flawless example, I do know the car's history pretty well.

Clark
    Last edited by droptopford; 02-11-2021 at 05:52 AM.

Hi,
    The lights should only come on in reverse when the lights are on - That's from the factory. So you don't have a technical issue there.

Safety first. Do what you have to do. I installed a dual bowl reservoir/booster set up. Lap Belts. Better head light bulbs.

Good luck

Original 59

Quote Originally Posted by droptopford View Post
    You're welcome and thanks John! I agree, safety comes ahead of absolute 'correctness' in keeping these vehicles on the road. There are several issues I've considered but haven't gotten around to. Disc in place of drum brakes, dual chambered master cylinder, maybe even install seatbelts in my old girl.

Glad you're enjoying your Skyliner. They are crowd pleasers and a fun blast from the past.

And by the way, I have very little technical knowledge to share here. My 'asset' to this community is just the fact that my '59 is very original and I can sometimes help with these type of questions. My Dad bought this one off of the dealership lot in 1960. I was 3 years old at the time and he brought me with him to pick it up. It's been well taken care of since then, but never restored. Mostly just routine maintenance. So... while mine may not be a flawless example, I do know the car's history pretty well.

Clark
    Hey Clark,

This is an amazing story about your original 59 Skyliner. To have the car in the same family for 62 years (and to have been there when it was purchased new) is a very rare story indeed. You should seriously consider sending your story to the Skyliner Magazine folks because they are always looking for interesting Skyliner stories. This would make a great article with photos (if you have them) of when the car was new along with today.

Dave

Thanks for the interest Dave. Sent you a PM.

Clark,
    I sent a reply by PM. Hope it went through ok.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread