+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Witch circuit breaker?

Witch circuit breaker?

Hello everyone.

i am new to this forum. Thanks for adding!

i just bought a 57 skyliner in america.
    (I live in the Netherlands)

the roof would work perfectly according to the seller, but unfortunately. fortunately have already solved some problems.
    I cannot solve one problem. when the roof goes up. interrupts the circuit breaker 3x.
    then I have to wait a while when it has cooled down and then the roof goes a bit further. (if the roof has passed the heavy point, it closes perfectly.)

I have cleaned and lubricated all hinge points and the adjustment is good. the flexible drive shaft also cleaned and lubricated, runs smoothly.

now my question is how many ampere circuit breaker do you use for the roof motor under the spare wheel?

and what do you do in the gearbox from the flexible drive shaft to the spindles? thank you in advance!!!

Thank you!!

Welcome to this forum Durk. I do not know the answers to your questions. Someone here does though.

Please do not be offended if it takes a long time to get an answer or if you get no answer at all. The activity here is low and responses can be very, very slow.

Congratulations on your 'new' Skyliner!

Hello Durk and welcome to the Forum,
    The power circuit for the motors is protected by a 45 amp circuit breaker that is located (per the manual diagram) under the dash just above the lower left kick panel. There are two circuit breakers in that area, a 10-amp breaker for the control circuit to the relays behind the rear seat, and the 45 amp breaker to the motor power circuit feeding the power circuits of the relays. Each of the motors then has a circuit breaker in its ground circuit and those relays are located close to the motors. The roof motor has a 20-amp breaker in its ground circuit (that is the one you see in the spare tire area).

Your problem could be either the 45 amp power breaker (probably more likely) or the 20 amp ground breaker. If there is drag in the cables or a problem with the motor itself, it might draw more current than the breaker can deliver. Once a breaker has been cycled a few times, it can lose its capacity and I would think that the 45 amp breaker would be the first one to try with a replacement just to see if that might be the problem (easy and cheap to replace). Just be a bit careful when working with that breaker, because according to the wiring diagram in the manual, that breaker is always hot (connected directly to the battery terminal of the starter relay). You could just check it with a voltmeter with the key off to be sure, but it might require you to pull off the negative battery terminal when you work on it.

On the question of the lubricant for the cable drive and cable drive transmission, I use white lithium grease for both these areas. I believe that is what is recommended in the Nick Kielen videos that were distributed years ago (probably no longer available, but available on Youtube).

Good luck with your Skyliner. It sounds like a nice car and should be lots of fun (post some pictures when you have a chance).
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread