+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Padded Dash

Padded Dash

My unrestored '59 came equipped with padded dash. It is still in remarkably good shape but there is some evidence of foam deterioration. The red covering material (vinyl, Naugahyde?) has some areas of warping/looseness.

I'm not too concerned about it now, but my question is this: What's under the padded dash? Was the padded dash option just something that was added over the stock steel dash?

Thanks,

Clark

Yes,
    The padded dash was a option. Its glued over the metal dash.

Thanks. So I guess if the dash padding deteriorates too badly, painting the dash underneath might be a way to go.

Or replacing it. Some places sell new pads that can be color dyed to match the original.

You can paint a new one yourself with Vinyl paint. Depending on the color you need to dye it first with a good primer. You might need a heat gun because most likely a new padded dash will need some work straightening etc from how its shipped and stored.

You will need to take off the metal trim etc which requires some work with small hands behind the dash .

Thanks for the thoughts/suggestions guys. As I said, I'm considering future options.
    Currently, I have just one area that is noticeably disformed. Near the speaker grill, the vinyl seems to have separated from the foam padding and is a bit warped. For now, I'm going to continue to try to keep it out of direct sunlight any more than necessary.... and hope it doesn't get any worse.

Padded Dash 59

I have a new padded dash for a 59 that I personally purchased to install on my 59. It is the manufactured black and as noted would need to be dyed to correct color. Due to storage issues I had to down size my collection and sold the 59 before installing the dash. If interested I would be willing to sell at a reasonable cost + shipping below what you would pay for same item new. Contact Information - burse59@gmail.com or (608) 712-2306 - if interested in details.

Thank you Chuck. Sorry I did not notice your post until today. I'll contact you.

Clark

+ Reply to Thread