+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top unlock problem

Top unlock problem

The top on my 57 won't unlock using the actuator switch. The deck lid unlocks and opens and the tray erects, then nothing happens. I adjusted the tray limit switch and roof position A switch per the shop manual but still got nothing from the roof locks. When I run a jumper across the roof lock relay everything works. Also when I retract the deck lid I hear one of the relays clicking but haven't been able to identify which on as yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

More info. After the tray is erected and the roof does not unlock, if I release the actuator switch and then pull it again, the tray erect relay clicks. Still looking for a solution.
    Last edited by Mike V; 06-15-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Top Unlock Problem

It sounds like the tray extend limit switch is still not sending current down the line to the roof position "A" switch and then to the roof unlock relay. If you have someone who can help by activating the top switch, it would be good to check the Red/Blue Band wire out of the tray extend limit switch to see if it still has power (should not have power if the switch is acting properly) and to see if the Yellow/Black band wire at the tray extend limit switch has power (should have power) when the tray limit switch is activated by the tray at full extension. It sounds like the Red/Blue Band wire might still have power if the tray extend relay is clicking when you activate the top switch.

Thanks Dave. I'll give it a shot!

Dave, this is getting weirder by the minute. I removed the tray limit switch from the decklid to check the wires per your suggestion. I had my daughter pull the activation switch and when I pressed the limit switch plunger in, the roof unlocked just fine. However, when I reinstall the limit switch it stops working. Thought it might be a bad ground so I cleaned the area where the limit switch attaches to the decklid but it still doesn't work. I adjusted the switch per the manual and still nothing. I even tried adjusting it without the shim. Nothing.
    Gremlins!

Mike,

It sounds like you are getting closer to a solution (and it involves the tray extend limit switch). There is no connection to ground involved with the limit switch operation since the switch is closing to send current to the roof position "A" switch and then down the line to the roof unlock relay. When you were operating the tray limit switch remotely (out of its mounting position) do you recall how far you had to push the plunger in order to complete the circuit? It may be that the contacts on the switch need to be cleaned in order to have it operate with the 0.100" shim that the manual requires. It's a tricky situation because if you get the switch adjusted too "tight" with no clearance it could cause switch damage but it sounds like the plunger has to be pushed farther than the actuator is currently doing in order to complete the circuit. The limit switches can be disassembled, cleaned and reassembled (Nick Keilen tapes show how that is done).
    Good Luck,
    Dave

Thanks, Dave. I came to the same conclusion. I pushed the plunger in as far as I could so I believe you are correct. I plan to disassemble the switch and clean it. I've watched the videos and have already done this to another switch so I'm familiar with the process. They aren't very complicated at all. I'll let you know how it goes later this week. thanks for your help.
    Mike

Dave, sorry for the delay. Family issues kept me from working on the car. I cleaned the switch, reinstalled it and set the adjustment and that now works fine. Thanks for your help.
    Mike

Roof Unlock

Mike,

I'm glad to hear you have the problem resolved. Those old switches are pretty amazing to still be working after over 60 years of service and it's even better that they can be disassembled and cleaned.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread