+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Disc Brakes - 14 vs 15 inch Tires/wheels

Disc Brakes - 14 vs 15 inch Tires/wheels

Time to buy new tires and this has triggered thoughts of going to disc brakes. I'd like to go with 15 inch tires/wheels because there seems to be more disc brake options out there. Also, 15 inch seems to have handling & ride advantages.
    My question is, has anyone upgraded to 15 inch tires with wheels deep enough for disc brakes and do they fit/ride OK? In particular, I have a 58 Skyliner with fender skirts. Will the 15 inch tires/wheels clear the rear fenders & skirts? If so, exactly what size wheels will fit? Then the big question, who sells a complete disc brake conversion kit that will work with 15 inch tires/wheels? I've seen several advertised but there always seems to be fine print saying some modification is necessary.
    Second big question is, if no good options for 15 inch, what is available for 14 inch wheels? I've heard a 73 Torino will bolt right up but there seems to also be fine print here. A definitive article in the Skyliner magazine on this topic might help a lot of us considering disc brakes. Thanks.

I just finished the front and rear conversion on a 1959 Skyliner with the original 14 inch wheels.

Front was Willowood for Ford Fairlane full size, rear was Inline Tube Large Baring, Old styl.

Front was a easy brezy, Rear a nightmare child.

Had to use 1.5 inch aluminum 5 on 4.5 spacers both front and rear, no rubbing , plenty of room for skirts, I hope, will be trying next.

Had to grind down rear axel hubs to fit inside rotors, 3/16 all around, grind down caliper brackets ad t bolts so they would snug up to axel flange, and put in longer wheel studs.

Will need to disassemble to take axel to machine shop and true up hubs.

I would diffenatly go with Willowood rear kit, I opted out because they did not have the kit with parking brake option at the time.

Using 8 inch dual diaphragm brake booster with Corvette Tandem Master Cylinder, 1 inch bore.

Still no brakes, took to brake check so they could pressure bleed the system after installing all new system, they said bad master cylinder, it happens, so took another NEW one, not rebuild, it held pressure but still not stopping well, they did not adjut peddle, so I did that untill brakes rubbed a little, took for a spin and they seezed up, got it home very slowly about a3 blocks, car running hot, brakes smoking not a happy camper.

Let it cool off, made adjustment to pedal backing off stroke, now WALAHHHHHH!

NO BRAKES AT ALL. No pressure at all, must have fried the master, bought a high performance racing master cylinder from Willowood, fingers crossed!
    Last edited by 59skylinerfairlane; 05-19-2020 at 03:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread