+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Member - New Skyliner Owner - New Questions

New Member - New Skyliner Owner - New Questions

I'm new to the classic car hobby in general buying my first car in May of this year (Chevy 4 door 210). I fell in love with the Skyliner based on pictures and a video. When I bought it, I had never even seen one in person.

The Skyliner arrived yesterday and it was everything I hoped for and more. There are just a few minor things that I have identified that need fixing and I have a few questions.

1. Does the speedometer and gauges have back lights or something for driving at night? If so, mine doesnt work and I would appreciate someone telling me the steps in fixing it. The other electronics work except for the clock and I think I know a horologist that can fix that.

2. The small grey clip that you put the window visor in is broken. Can anyone direct me to where I can get a replacement?

The rest of the problems (so far) I know about and can fix. Thank you guys for creating this club.

Michael the CPA

Wow! I'd say you must have done pretty well with your Skyliner purchase if those minor items are your concerns. Sure would love to see a picture or two. You don't mention what year it is.?.

Yes, the dash/speedometer is illuminated along with the gas gauge temp. gauge etc. if it is functioning properly. Been a while since I looked back there but I believe the bulb(s?) are accessible from behind near where the speedo drive cable enters. The problem might be in the switch however.

The knob that controls the headlights also controls the dash lights (radio and clock lights too). It is a rheostat type setup as was common on many cars of that era. It is not unusual for the contact area inside the switch to build up light corrosion and stop working. Try pulling out the knob (either parking light or running light position) and rotating it back and forth to the stops repeatedly. You may see the dash lights flicker as the corrosion is worn away. The lights may even come back to normal function with enough fiddling with it. Those switches need to be used regularly in order to keep working properly. Same with the floor dimmer switch.

As far as the grey plastic visor clips... I don't know who sells them but I'm pretty sure they're out there somewhere. I know this is not your issue but I'll mention it anyway. Mine got loose enough so as not to clip properly. I put them in a pan of very warm water until they were a bit pliable, squeezed them together to their original shape and let them cool. Problem solved.

My Dad disconnected the clock 50 some years ago so as to keep from discharging the battery. I never reconnected it and don't even know if it works!
    Last edited by droptopford; 07-30-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Ford 2.jpgFord 3.jpgFord 1.jpgOh those arent the only problems. Those are just the problems I didnt know how to fix. lol. There is a tear in the seat. Already have SMS sending me the fabric. There are some minor chips and I have ordered some touch up paint. The windshield wiper motor needs to be pulled and sent to wiperman.com who, for 135, will rebuild the motor to perfect shape. I thought the hubcaps were wrong but the original hubcaps were in the trunk and in great shape

It's a beautiful car. Thanks for pics!

Very nice. I have seen the visor clips for sale, I believe it was Macs Auto Parts.

I found the visor clips as well as come chrome headlight bezels from Jerry's Classic Cars. I put some WD-40 on the light switch and the speedometer and radio lights popped right on. Ultimately I will likely need a new switch but no time soon.

And thanks droptopford. I looked and all that was wrong was the fuse pulled. It works great now.

+ Reply to Thread