+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Relay assist kit

Relay assist kit

I am hoping someone can help me locate the relay assist kit I have read about in a couple posts. It appears Wayne Rollins may be making them? Thanks

Is this for the brake lights? If so then contact Wayne - he is in the Roster. I installed one a couple of years ago and its much better than relying on the pressure switch.

Wayne Rollins makes the kit and sells it. You can contact him for it. He has the relay already set up with wiring and terminals on them. It's very convenient. He has the kits for brake lights but also the relay assist kits for the top. If you need help diagnosing the low voltage issue or help in installing the relay, just let me know. I'm very familiar with it.

If you're referring to the top relay assit kit, it's basically a 6-volt relay designed to supply full voltage to whichever solenoid in your top relay bank is not getting full voltage. This is usually the roof retract relay as it's coil energizing voltage runs through nine switches while the roof is unlocking. This provides for a lot of resistance in the circuit and often the roof retract relay won't engage because it's only receiving six to eight volts instead of 12 volts so it can't energize with that low voltage.

Try replacing the 10 solenoids. Seems to be an issue now that they are 60 years old. It wasn't before. They build up resistance inside due to corrosion and other factors.

For sale:
    http://www.ptovintageauto.com/ford.html

Down towards the bottom right.

+ Reply to Thread