+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Automatic Shift Leverl repair

Automatic Shift Leverl repair

Hello,
    My Shift lever on my Cruisomatic transmission occasionally slips out of park. Also, I need to hold the lever in Park to start the car. The neutral safety swicth is fine and hase been adjusted about as far as I can go. My concern is that the car can easily slip out of park and into reverse.

Does anyone have a step by step list on how I can go about repairing this so the lever stays firmly in Park without slipping into reverse? Is theere a rebuild kit for springs etc. I am afraid to pop out the pin and see what happens - thats if I can pop the pin out.
    Thanks

You need to take the pin out and remove the lever, there is probably a deep grove wore in it where it rubs on the detent plate.
    If you have or know some one with MIG welder they/you can fill in the worn area and grind smooth, or you can locate a new shift lever.
    Sometimes the pin is hard to remove, there is probably a tool for doing it but I just use a cheap C-clamp and drill a hole in it large enough for the pin to go through and tighten a small short pin against the pin that is in the shift lever pushing it through the hole in the C-clamp.

Thanks for the response. I was originally looking to see if someone reproduced the detent plate or if there were any on EBay. After looking for a while I figured I would just ask. I would rather not take the whole steering mechanism apart to fix it but I would really rather not have it rolll away on me.

I don't think it would be the detent plate, but the little lever sticking up from the gearshift. Ford Only is right, remove the roll pin and gearshift lever then look at that little piece that rubs on the detent plate.

+ Reply to Thread