+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brake help

Question Brake help

Need help.
    My '59 Skyliner keeps pulling to right on brake application. I have rebuilt original brakes all around with new parts ---shoes ,cylinders and hoses and adjusted the brakes several times to try and correct problem. Also rebuilt the original master cylinder. Lastly I dismantled front left brake assembly again to see if I did something wrong and all is OK. I even checked for blocked brake line/hose.
    Any Ideas??? Thank you

I'm no expert on anything but if it feels like it's the front brakes causing the problem, I'd:
    1: pull both drums and have a look see
    2: switch the drums and check again
    3: turn both drums
    I'll bet you will find it.
    Let us know the outcome.
    Cheers
    Dave

I seem to remember hearing about a car with the same issue and it ended up being a loose rear shackle that was allowing the rear end to move slightly.

open both front bleeders , see if they both drip fast with cap off

Did you ever figure it out???

Thanks to all for your suggestions. The problem went away after I exchanged brake drums from one side to the other on the front of car. Go figure???? Now the car stopes nice and straight with no pull to either side.

Thanks for getting back with that! So many threads started on this forum and no word of any kind of resolution.
    Anyway, your post got me thinking... I might swap drums from side to side, both front and back axle. I have a few brake issues where it might be helpful to know if the problem follows the drum.

other problems are the shoe set on backwards on one side always heavy shoe to the rear . for self energizing brakes .
    also bad hoses
    and one half of wheel cylinder froze up so shoes wont Wind up (energize ) and force that heavy rear shoe into the drum !

+ Reply to Thread