+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Introductiopn - restoring a '57 Skyliner

Introductiopn - restoring a '57 Skyliner

Hi folks. My father-in-law died a few years back and gave my son his 57 skyliner! This car has sat undriven for at least 12 years that I know of. We are just now getting into turning it into a driver. We don't have the funds for a full on restoration. It is in real rough shape. The interior is completely shot, the engine runs but the carb has some broken/frozen parts. The paint is bad and there are some signs of minor accidents and bondo.

Took the brakes apart today and found all the big retaining springs broken! Drums look serviceable as are the shoes. Water leaking from several unknown areas around the water pump. Trunk lid came up slightly and now will not go back down. Replaced the ignition switch key tumbler. Didn't have the old key so drilled out the soft brass pin.

Question: How do we tell what engine it has? It has a 4bbl carb and three in the tree tranny,

All in all, not a bad first day working on her! I will post a photo tomorrow.

Hello and welcome.

Are the valve covers held on with two bolts in the center or bolts on the perimeter?

Two bolts in the center of the valve covers.

Got her running today and looks like the fuel tank will have to come out and be cleaned.

Is there a downloadable manual for the roof and trunk mechanism?

Two bolts in the center of the valve covers sounds like a Y-block to me. Check out photos of Skyliners with 292 engines and see if that looks like yours.

[IMG]
    [/IMG]

Here is the engine. All of the photos I could find of the 292 showed a 2bbl carb. I wonder if my father in law put in a 312?
    Last edited by desertskyliner; 02-04-2018 at 09:08 PM.

[IMG]
    [/IMG]

Just getting her running so it can get out of my daughters back yard!
    Last edited by desertskyliner; 02-04-2018 at 09:12 PM.

The other baffling thing is the vacuum line that goes to the windshield wiper motor Ts off and one side goes through the firewall under the center of the dash. This isn't shown in the manual. Haven't been able to get at it to find out where it goes so far. And where is the windshield washer tank and motor?

The vacuum line would indicate power brakes. The unit was under the dash.

The 292's were available with a 4V carb.

The windshield washer was an option and was a foot operated pump pedal.
    Last edited by White59; 02-05-2018 at 12:27 PM.

As far as the top not operating properly, it might be just a weak battery.

I guess we'll never know, as you never came back!
    Last edited by White59; 03-25-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Looks like a factory 312, if serial # starts with "D" it is. The vacuum line goes from the wiper motor to the fuel/vacuum pump. The second line was added by a previous owner.
    The PB vacuum can is on the left inner fenderwell and the hose goes to the rear of the intake manifold.

Looks like a good rust free Skyliner, rare 3sp ON the tree, Overdrive? I can't tell if the relay on the firewall is for OD or power windows.

Goodluck,

Ron.
    Last edited by SkylinerRon; 02-26-2018 at 12:40 AM.

+ Reply to Thread