+ Reply to Thread

Thread: top electrical question

Question top electrical question

I have a 1958 that I am restoring. When checking the motors, I noted that there is a junction block (?) connection to the top motor. The wires are old and I can not get the nuts off to disconnect the motor. Can someone tell me if this is a junction block? If so,how or with what I can replace it and is it necessary at all to use such a connection?

Thanks

Not real sure what you mean by top motor? Is it the motor that run's cable's to retract the roof? It would be in the spare tire compartment. It sound's like the junction block could be a circuit breaker? all of them are very necessary if possible-put a picture on & explain a little more on the location of the motor. The circuit breaker could also be bad you can check these with a self powered test light. Good luck Gregg....

This is the motor to retract and erect the top. It is not wired like a circuit breaker would be. Also the symbol in the wiring diagram is not that of a breaker. The piece is not anchored to the tire well floor but the well has been repaired so it may well have been attached. Hope this helps clarify the question.

I will try to take a picture of mine tomorrow I believe mine is original & have one of my Grandchildren put it on here. My comp skill's don't allow me to do that... Hope it help's & let us know how it work's out... Gregg!

Today I managed to break the item in question and it was definitely a junction block. My question is; are these available or what can I replace it with. It would appear to be there to keep the connections from shorting out by touching each other or the metal body.

Sorry I've not been able to post a picture. You can probley get one from Joe Odehnal His phone # is in the back of the Skyliner magazine. Good Luck Gregg...

Thanks for trying. I know now what I need. I just have to find one.

There is a 6-position junction block that fastens onto the spare tire well to the aft of the top drive motor. You can get a modern one if not concerned about originality. The harness has a u-shaped lug for each of the three wires (forward, reverse and ground) and the leads from the motor have 3 more similar lugs. A circuit breaker also connects the ground terminal to the body.

Ted'
    The junction box on my 58 had two wire junctions. One for reverse and the other forward. The ground went directly to the back of the tire well. I currently have spliced the harness to the wires from the motor. It works but would like to get it closer to correct.

Wahoo

+ Reply to Thread