+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tire's:

Tire's:

Hi Bob: Just wondered if there is any deduction for haveing blackwall tire's. Thank's Gregg...

Tires should be 8 x 14. Whitewall should be 2" -2 5/8". -2 points if radials, -2 if not 8 x 14, -2 if whitewall is wrong. Although this picture shows a car on the assembly line with black wall tires.Attachment 8

Hey Dave: That is the reason I've asked it seem's black wall tire's could be proper also.. Thank's Gregg!

Gregg,

If this factory is anything like the ones I help manage the correct tires were probably not line side at the moment they were needed. As the cars were built on a moving assembly line if a part is missing you either stop the line, leave the part off or install a substitute. Stopping the line idles the entire assembly process while swapping out the substitute part later only involves one person.

Dave

Dave: I got it-something that make's sence & something I really didn't think of...(Thank's dave) Gregg

Auto assembly lines were timed for the correct parts at the right car!
    No company paid union labor rates to change tires afterward.
    Only Skyliners and wagons normally got 8.00x14's, most all others got 7.50X14's.
    Blackwall tires were std on about 90-95% of all cars built before 1970 and certainly all Fords.
    The original tires were junk (10k miles at best) so, a lot of folks got bsw and replaced them with wsw when the originals wore out. The factories charged 3-5 times what a tire store did for the wsw option.
    Regards,
    Ron B.

Thank's Ron B: More information that less informed people like myself can be aware of...Gregg

+ Reply to Thread