+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transmission sputters in reverse when engine is hot

Transmission sputters in reverse when engine is hot

Hi Folks,
    I have dealt with this issue on and off for a number of years. When my car is cold the transmission shifts into reverse normally and operates normally for the most part. Sometimes there is a slight delay in it shifting into reverse and sometimes there is a little lack of power when trying to accelerate in reverse.

More importantly - when the engine is hot (at 3/4s or above) and I shift into reverse the car sputters and while accelerating in reverse the car shudders and shakes a little. Its not coming from the engine as it only happens when I depress the pedal when in reverse. The more I travel in reverse (in my driveway) the more shaking and shuddering happens. It never slips or fails to engage.

I have done the suggested adjustments with the bans as stated in the book with not change in performance. The performance is definitely related to the overall temp of the car because in the winder it is much smoother.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

I had my transmission rebuilt in 2014 and found that the case was cracked. I found a repair kit from Fastco Transmission parts in Pine Brook NJ. The kit was manufactured by Car-Venience Parts Manufacturing, inc.
    located in Bluffton, Indiana 46714.

This is what the installation instructions said:
    PROBLEM: The combination of higher pressure and a larger servo unit cause the transmission case to crack resulting in slippage and chatter when in reverse.
    SOLUTION: Transmission repair kit no. 183 eliminates the need of buying a new case or the possibility of trying to weld the old case. The kit is designed to put
    the stress and strain at the strongest point in the case. I'm not sure id this kit is still available. Good Luck.

Thank you - I will check it out.

+ Reply to Thread