+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 57 brake booster

57 brake booster

I've got a 57 that the brakes have never worked. When I got it, the brakes had a vacuum leak. Pulled the booster off and there was a hole in the rubber diaphram. Through the forum I was able to get rebuild parts and I had a local machine shop rebuild the booster. She's back in place and it is still not working correctly. I think, because it has never worked, I'm not sure how it is suppose to work.

The master cyclinder is good, and everything down stream is good. After installing the booster, the pedal acts as if there is no booster. Kind of like a regular car with no power. When I step on the pedal, even the smallest amount, there is an air noise which I assume is a vacuum leak. She's a coaster brake special.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I should look for or try.......to get the booster system working? Any help would be appreciated.

I have had the booster in and out several times. I'm having a very difficult time getting the rubber to seal at the front plate. Ended up putting a small bead of silicon type sealer between the rubber and the plate. Letting it dry for a few days and then I'll reinstall. Will report back if this did the trick.
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread