+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top landing

Top landing

I have a 1958 and when I retract the top it seems to land very hard into the trunk. The car rocks and it feels like it is landing too hard. Is there any adjustment or part that needs to be replaced or is this normal

I've wondered if there was an adjustment for that condition too. It seems to me like the top (on my '59) has begun to drop into the trunk a little faster than it did years ago. And at the end of the erect-cycle, it drops onto the windshield pillars harder than before too.

I've learned to soften these 'hard landings' by releasing the switch at just the right moment. The top does not stop immediately when the switch is released. It continues to move, but more slowly and coasts to a stop. The speed also seems to vary with the ambient air temperature. Warmer = faster.

I'd sure love to know if this is a common condition and if there is some way to address it.

I have the same problem and I think its just the top assist springs getting weak from old age, I know of no easy way to fix other than to do what droptopford does.
    Last edited by Ford Only; 05-26-2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: miss spelled word

Thanks for the replys, are the assist springs available anyplace. I also have tried letting the switch go just before landing and it coast down, but lately it has started to click when i do that. I was hoping I was not stripping a gear or something that was not good.

Why don't you try Jerry's http://jerrysclassiccars.com/
    They may be able to help, they restore 57 through 59 Fords/Skyliners & please post any information you receive from them.

add a few squirts of 30w oil pummper to tops of deck jacks add oil catch rags . and notice How Quiet the deck lids noise is .
    Same with roof jacks at top . the top will Free up so much current , you won't Need a Alternator , One thing , a foot to 18" away Let up on retract paddle and let roof coast to guide pin slots Then flop top down as normal
    Same way on roof erect let it Coast to roof locks 12" away . more if needed , lube roof hinge joints with
    Motorcycle chain lube , it thickens to a grease and usually won't drip .

+ Reply to Thread