+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 59 Power Brakes

59 Power Brakes

I have almost all of the parts to upgrade to power brakes. A friend has a
    good diaphragm. Dumb Question: Is is necessary to change the master cylinder
    when changing over? WTB the fitting for the intake and the tubing off of that
    fitting. 352 engine.

The manual brake master cylinder will work with the power brake system. Manual brakes have a 1" bore and power brakes have a 1-1/8" bore. Mine currently has a 1" bore on it and the brakes work fine. I can lock it down and slide all over the road whenever I want. ha ha. FYI: The manual brake master cylinder can be bored to a 1-1/8" bore, I just haven't had time to get that done yet on mine.

WARNING...WARNING !!! Ford used more then one mounting bolt pattern. The Rabestos ordered from Rock Auto was wrong. They deduct the return shipping costs from the credit.
    My local parts store..Bumper to Bumper, used the pattern made from the old master cylinder bolt holes. The first order was wrong. They found the correct part in California....4 to 5 days shipping...ground.

I wanted to give an update for everyone about the 1" bore and 1-1/8" bore master cylinders. I had used the 1" bore master cylinder (for manual brakes) on my 59 with the power brake system. It would stop fine but the pedal travel was farther than I like & the pedal would press closer to the floor than I prefer. I acquired and rebuilt a power brake master cylinder with the correct 1-1/8" bore and installed it. It does a great job stopping the car and the pedal travel is about 1/2" less. There is no noticeable difference in the amount of force required on the pedal to stop the car. With the 1-1/8" bore master cylinder the pedal feels better as it doesn't go so close to the floor when the pedal is pressed. So there you go, the correct bore master cylinder removed 1/2" of pedal travel and feels better without adding any perceived extra force to press the pedal.
    Last edited by 1959retractable; 07-24-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Another Discovery: Today I visited the only known Skyliner here in Waukesha Wi. I needed to know where Ford hid the vacuum booster tank.
    OUCH !! That tank will be installed at the same time the holes are cut in the fire wall for the a.c. hoses.....may be....
    after the left fender is removed. DARN!!

Where can I buy one 1 1/8 master cylinder

I bought my 1-1/8 master cylinder from Joe Odehnal. But you can also have your 1" one bored out to 1-1/8" as well.

+ Reply to Thread