+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1959 Neutral Safety Switch

1959 Neutral Safety Switch

A friend has jumped the connector on the switch. Nothing has jumped out
    at me on line. I believe it's a 352 with cruise-o-matic.

Are you asking a question? Not sure what you're getting at.

I can tell you that the '59 Ford-O-Matic 2 speed is designed so that the top will only operate with the selector in the 'Park' position. The Cruise-O-Matic needs to be in 'Neutral' if I remember correctly.

Bypassing the switch entirely (completing the right switch circuits or as you suggest 'jumping the connector') will allow the starter to be engaged and/or the top/trunk-lid mechanism to run at any time regardless of shift-lever position. Not necessarily a good thing to say the least. Worst case scenario...probably inadvertent trunk-lid/top operation at highway speed.
    Last edited by droptopford; 05-08-2017 at 09:29 AM.

If the NSS is worn out / broken, what is the owner's choise. On my Sunliner, the top switch by passes the NSS.
    Back to the original question that I forgot to ask.....Where does one buy an NSS? He found one for $300.

I have seen them show up from time to time on Ebay for much less than $300. I think Joe Odehnal has a couple of those switches. Mine was bypassed when I bought my car and I left it bypassed. Having it in neutral is a bit annoying to me so reconnecting it wasn't appealing. I like reaching in and moving the top while I'm standing outside the car (especially when you're retrieving or depositing items in the luggage tub).
    Last edited by 1959retractable; 05-23-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks. I know Joe.

Ebay has a 60 Ford Galaxie NSS for $60. The seller does not want to be contacted through eBay.
    Perhaps he has a web sight and an email address. He claims he bought out a Ford dealer inventory.

Ebay has 2 NSSs now 6-6-17. for 59 Ford Galaxies Know what part number you need.

First, understand that there is a switch for the retractable hardtop that is mounted on the steering column under the dash. This switch requires that the vehicle be in neutral before the top will actuate. But there is another switch at the end of the steering column near the steering gearbox. That switch operates the starting solenoid when the vehicle is in Park. The secondary set of terminals on that switch operate the back-up lights when the headlights are on and the gearshift is in Reverse. Regarding this second switch (sometimes called a gearshift switch) I have seen two versions for a 59. The early version is a bit rare but the later version is housed in plastic and is much more common. The later plastic ones have been seen in different colors, not sure why. A quick Ebay search shows a couple of auctions for 59 switches with part numbers B9AZ7A247B and B9AZ7A247A. One is yellow and one is red, but I don't know of the mechanical differences between them. A Parts manual may tell you, or you may match what is on your vehicle. But since the gearshift switch only allows the vehicle to be started in Park then technically, it's not a "Neutral Safety Switch". I know the mid-60's Galaxies will start in both Park or Neutral positions, but these switches don't do that. I wish they did as I have started my Galaxies in neutral plenty of times when they would die in traffic.

+ Reply to Thread