+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hockey Stick Chrome

Hockey Stick Chrome

I am new to this forum, so I will start by saying hello!

My father has a '57 Retractable. He is ill and I am its current caretaker. Recently I showed a picture of it to someone and they said "it looks like it's missing the hockey stick chrome". Was this standard on all retractables? Does anyone know a source or cost to get this added?

Thanks for any info. I've attached a picture of the car. IMG_2558 copy.jpg
    Attached Images

That's a pretty Skyliner your dad's got there!
    As far a the 'hockey-stick' stainless steel rocker panel molding...no it was not standard on all retractables. The only way I would say that it was "missing the hockey stick chrome" is if the holes had been drilled for it and it was absent. I wouldn't worry about looking for it if it were me. It looks great without it.

Thank you! It doesn't have any holes so I assume dad wanted to keep it original. That's how he is. She's a beautiful car with the continental kit. I know nothing about these cars so I'm hoping to network with people and learn. I plan to keep her and that's what my father wanted. He's still with us but sadly in a home now. He has Alzheimers sadly and the VA made me put him in a home last year.

Here's a link to more pics but I think you have to log into Google to view them.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...HBwb3hZOGxZWkk

That is a spectacular looking car Victoria. I remember when you posted a pic of it a year or more ago. I responded to your thread/post at that time and I remember wondering (asking?) if your dad's love for Fords had anything to do with you being named Victoria.

I believe since that time there were some technical glitches on this forum and that thread, along with lots of others were permanently lost.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your dad. I'm sure he's glad the car will be in good hands.

Thank you. Yeah, I had to create a new sign in so that must be why. It's good to reconnect.

And by the way, I was named for my dad's mom. Just a happy coninsidence.

Quote Originally Posted by droptopford View Post
    That's a pretty Skyliner your dad's got there!
    As far a the 'hockey-stick' stainless steel rocker panel molding...no it was not standard on all retractables. The only way I would say that it was "missing the hockey stick chrome" is if the holes had been drilled for it and it was absent. I wouldn't worry about looking for it if it were me. It looks great without it.
    It occurred to me that the trim may interfere with the fender skirts he has for the car.

Quote Originally Posted by victorialynn2 View Post
    It occurred to me that the trim may interfere with the fender skirts he has for the car.
    I don't think so. The 'hockey-stick' stops a few inches in front of the rear wheel well and does not interfere with the stock-style fender skirts. I've even seen '57 Skyliners with the big 'turnpike/cruiser' skirts, so I don't think there would be any issue.

If you have your heart set on getting a set of those hockey-stick moldings, you might want to go on eBay and set up your account to notify you if something meeting your search criteria gets listed. I ended up with a pretty good deal on a nice set of original FoMoCo stainless fender skirts for my '59 that way.

Also, take a look on Google images and see if you really like the looks of those moldings. Some do, some don't. Personally, I think your dad's car looks really clean the way it is. A set of skirts would look great on it too.
    Last edited by droptopford; 04-22-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks. I'd probably want to see them in person but I doubt if second guess my dad on this kind of thing unless I thought it was something he wanted and just didn't get to. After your info, I doubt it. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread