+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: '58 Skyliner Resurrection

With the engine apart, there really wasn't much else I could do. The machine shop eventually called and said the block was good. It took them a full week of soaking to get the camshaft, lifters, and distributor to come out of the block. With a 40 overbore, the cylinders cleaned up and they bought new pistons and freezeplugs to go with the block.

With the engine out, I used the opportunity to clean up the suspension and frame rails in the engine bay and clean and repaint the inner fenders. After that, I decided to see just how well the paint would clean up, since rust work and a new paintjob are far, far down the financial line at this point. I used a clay bar and some good wax on the firewall and was amazed at how well it came out. I hope the exterior paint comes up as good.

So that's where I'm at right now. The next step is reassembling the engine, as money allows. The crankshaft was dropped off at the machine shop when I picked up the block, and when I get it back, the heads go in. Right now, I'm looking for a new camshaft. The 352 is one of the early, solid lifter engines, and I understand it has a unique cam. I can find the hydraulic lifter cams everywhere, but haven't found a solid lifter cam yet. The cam, bearings, and seals need to go in before I get the crank back in, so from there, I need main bearings, seals, rods, and rings. I'll keep updating as things happen.

Just a few other pictures I've taken along the way. Sorry about the blurriness. My old phone only liked bright light.

Thanks again for taking the time to post the pics. The top video was great. Very impressive all the work you've done so far.

That was the first time the top ran its entire cycle. I was having a problem with one of the deck latches so it wasn't locking down, but that turned out to be because the left rear tire had gone flat and it was twisting the body.

+ Reply to Thread