+ Reply to Thread

Thread: '58 352 Solid Lifter Camshaft

'58 352 Solid Lifter Camshaft

Now that I can finally start putting my engine back together, I need a new camshaft. The old one is not only rust pitted, but in the week it took to get it, the lifters, and the distributor out of the block, my machine shop damaged a few of the distributor drive teeth, so it's junk. The engine is an early solid lifter engine. Where is the best place to look for a new cam? I see all the usual places for old Ford parts have the hydraulic cam, but I don't see one for a solid lifter engine. I'm not going for performance, I just want it restored back to the way it was when my in-laws last drove it 45 years ago.

Why not go with the hydraulic cam, you probably need new lifters anyway, the rocker arms will work with either.

More just to keep it original than anything. The entire valvetrain needs to be replaced, so I could, but then I need to figure out what else needs to be converted. The pushrods are different sizes, and if I remember, there's a different fitting on the rear of the engine. I'd just rather keep it all the way it originally was. This is the first engine I've ever totally rebuilt and changing parts as I go is more than I really want to deal with as well.

Call any of the cam co's and tell them what you want, they can grind one for you. Probably under $100.

Ron

lunatti voodoo 60001 is the hydraulic cam . call em up

+ Reply to Thread