07-04-2015, 03:49 PM
I have never put anything in the truck of my 57 since it was
hard to tell how much room there really is available. I recently
purchased and installed a truck tub. It has pretty good space
and with it installed, it looks like there could be some extra
space on the sides and the back between the tub and the rear
of the car to place smaller intense like extra oil etc. has anyone
ever tried different foam blocks to see if there is actually available
Space to put some of this type of stuff?
Thank you - Scott in Duluth

Fords are Forever
07-10-2015, 01:01 PM
Scott, some of the old timer Skyliner owners have figured out "safe" places outside the luggage tub to store things, but the rule of thumb is to beware of using any space outside the tub. With the roof in the erect position I have used the space to the rear of the tub for a collapsible chair or other long roundish item. I have also used some of the space in front of the tub for flat items. However, I NEVER use the areas to the sides of the tub. On the passenger side there is a considerable risk that an item would roll onto the switch on the trunk floor. This would prevent the deck lid from raising and result in a lot of work to disconnect deck locks to manually raise it. On both sides of the tub items could fall against the screw jacks or the booster springs and jam when activated. Of course, the most important rule when storing items outside the tub is to check for clearance BEFORE retracting the roof. It's amazing how many times people forget this step and.....CRUNCH. Good luck.

Fnixon
11-21-2022, 10:29 AM
I know this is an old post but I wish to comment on it. Online there is a site that has Ford brochures, including the 57, 58 and 59 Skyliner models. In one of the 57 brochures it has a photo of luggage in the tube and another photo of a lot more luggage without the tub. It suggests that while leaving the top up, one can carry a lot in the trunk. I have also seen a vintage 1957 Ford advertisement encouraging owners to use the space while travelling with the top up. I haven't come across this advice again from Ford, for the 58 or 59 models.

droptopford
11-21-2022, 02:43 PM
I haven't come across this advice again from Ford, for the 58 or 59 models.

Lesson learned is my guess.

droptopford
11-22-2022, 08:11 AM
Here is the '57 Skyliner brochure you mentioned. (IF the link works, you can click on the lower left panel). http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/ford/57sky/57sky.html

You're right, at that time they suggested you could just pile stuff anywhere it would fit as long as you didn't put the top down. There's a set of clubs lying next to the screw jacks! Looks like they actually removed the tub to make more room. As I suggested above, this plan must have run into a few problems.

Fnixon
12-02-2022, 07:01 PM
Sorry I didn't see your reply. I was trying to post that link but didn't get there! There is also an old ad on YouTube where they say the same thing.

droptopford
12-03-2022, 11:35 AM
Link to that (cheesy quality) video. The nonsense regarding the luggage space starts at 07:00 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw0teZEWOKc

(video upload feature on this site appears to be inop)