PDA

View Full Version : How much should I expect to pay for a 58?

sky2100
05-25-2015, 10:00 PM
So if I wanted to get a 58 Skyliner in good working condition and nice two tone paint with the largest engine size and auto transmission, what would I be expected to pay?

And is there anything specific I should consider asking about the car? Anything typically go bad? Are there dozens of transmission types where only one or two are actually any good?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Ford Only
05-25-2015, 10:32 PM
According to the Old Car price guide, the range would be $25,000 to $40,000.
There are only two automatic transmission choices available, Fordamatic & Cruiseamatic, Cruiseamatic would be the best choice as it starts in first gear where as the Fordomatic starts in second gear.
The biggest engine would be the 352 300hp Thunderbird Special.
The nicest car with the most options would be the most desirable.
Sometimes a low price doesn't mean a good deal as you may spend a lot of money on repairs.
It would be best to have the car checked over by a qualified person before purchase.
Rust was a big issue/problem with this year so it would be real important to have any rust issues addressed.

sky2100
05-25-2015, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the tips... every picture I see has manual windows and very few options. Compared to a cadillac of the same year, these cars seem to be very basic, which may be a blessing in disguise due to simplicity, but it's a shame some of the common comforts of the higher end cars do not seem to be present in these cars. Do they have power seats or power anything typically? I love the exterior of these cars, they look amazing and the hard top conv is one of the coolest features of the time, just wish the interior was a little more plush, but haven't sat in one yet, so I don't know.

Ford Only
05-26-2015, 08:27 AM
They didn't offer lots of options compared to today's cars but they did have AC, power windows, power seat, power brakes, power steering and tinted glass to name the more desirable ones.