PDA

View Full Version : master cylinder upgrade?

Ham59
03-17-2015, 07:51 PM
Would like to upgrade our 59 skyliner with power brakes, single m/c to a dual brake master cylinder, what master cylinder is a direct bolt on and will the original pedal rod work? currently plan to keep drum brakes and under dash unit. please provide part numbers if possible.

Ford Only
03-18-2015, 09:42 AM
I have done a lot of these and there are many master cylinder that will work. Just about any early Ford master cylinder (1967 or later) will work, you need a drum drum application with booster. The 1968 Mustang one is a good choice as most parts stores will have this one in stock. If you go with the Ford master cylinder you will need to purchase 3/8-24 IF adapters for the ports, even though the lines are 3/16" Ford used larger fittings on the ends of the lines. Another choice you have is to use the GM universal style master cylinder, it will already have the 3/8 IF ports, you may have to file the mounting holes a little unless you find a master cylinder with slotted holes to fit both Ford & others. The cheapest way to go is to go to your local parts store and buy the Ford master cylinder, if you want to use the universal style master cylinder, I would call Jegs, Summit Racing or Speedway they can tell you what you need and what will work. You don't need a proportioning valve but will need a IF 3/8 tee and some new brake lines. The original pedal will work but you may have to adjust the booster to match the master cylinder, something that you need to do whenever you replace the master cylinder. They also sell a brake light switch that has the 3/8 IFM threads that will fit the tee, or you can make a non hydraulic switch up and mount it on the steering column by the brake pedal arm.

Ham59
03-18-2015, 05:07 PM
Thanks- for the info- can I use the 68 mustang M/C only and keep my underdash booster? and do I get the manual or power M/C unit ? this would be a great option since I can get these parts locally. thanks again.

Ford Only
03-19-2015, 09:00 AM
I have a 58 with that still has the under dash booster and Mustang M/C, I think that either the Power or Manual Master cylinder should work with the under dash booster but would go with the power unit for drum brakes. I have used the disk drum master cylinders and they seem to also work but to be on the safe side you should probably go with what you have. This is a good safety conversion and it is the first thing I do when I get a new (older pre 67) car. You never know when a wheel cylinder is going to blow or line start leaking and with the dual master cylinder you will still have some braking if one of the front or rear brakes fail. You may still have to order the 3/8 IF port adapters from one of the speed shops I never seem to have any luck with local Auto stores, the first think they ask is "what does it go on".

Ham59
03-20-2015, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info.