PDA

View Full Version : The color of a car

Scott Torvinen
04-27-2014, 07:56 AM
Dropped off my 57 to Jerry Miller last week for body work, paint and assembly. Going through details, we came upon paint color. My car is paint code F, Starmist Blue. I never had any intension of anything but keeping this car as original as I could but........ looking through pictures and web sites, the two tone blue really gives the car a classic appearance. I have had the car for 30 years, third owner and this will be its first restoration. Some folks say original is original and some say as long as it's an original Ford offered paint, it's driver preference. Are there others out there who have modified their colors or is this one of those classics that shouldn't be messed with. I'm really torn which way to move forward.

Ford Only
04-27-2014, 10:08 PM
If your concerned about it being correct, just get a new data plate made with the 2 tone color code. You can change anything but the serial number on the data plate. Its done all the time and on most older cars there is no factory documentation as to what the original color was and nothing is stamped anywhere on the body or frame. The only stamping on the body or frame is the serial number, which would be engine size and car type but nothing else. I don't know if this is concidered legal or not but its done all the time on restorations. All you need to do is say your car was missing its data plate but you have all the information.