PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer calibration

Mr.Bill
10-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Hi All The tires on my retract were replaced with radials. They measure 215-70-14.The originals were 800-14 if I recall. The speedometer is now (I think ) about 8 mph off. I guess I could get somebody to follow at a certain speed to get an accurate measure. The best thing would be to replace the trans gear. The one there now says #19. My question-- higher or lower teeth number ? Thanks Mr. Bill

Qwoodworker
10-09-2013, 12:57 PM
The best way to determine how far your speedometer is off, is to check it with a GPS. As far as to the number of teeth in the speedometer gear, you did not indicate whether the speedometer reads higher or lower.

Mr.Bill
10-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Hi The speedometer reads 33 mph when the car is moving 25 mph . Sorry I should have been more specific. Thanks for any input.

Qwoodworker
10-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Since your speedometer is reading higher than you are traveling, it means your speedometer cable is turning to fast. To slow it down you need a gear with more teeth.

Mr.Bill
10-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Hi I thank you very much . Mr.Bill

Gizmoe1164
12-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Mr. Bill,
Are your radial tires wide WW? If so, where did you get them and at what price?

Mr.Bill
12-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Yo from Narberth Pa. Sorry to be so long getting back. The tires were on the car when I got it 6 years ago. They are wide whites ,which I think really make the car look good. I'll read what the side wall says. B.F. Goodrich Silvertown radials. P-215-70- R 14 Some other numbers are 96 S M+S I have no idea what they mean. I did talk to one of the major tire people at Hershey in October. A different size was mentioned. I did not write down what he said because I have no plan to replace the tires any time soon. The tire really work well in my opinion. For judging of course they would be a deduction. I don't care . Hope this helps. Happy New Year Bill