PDA

View Full Version : 1959 Skyliner Firewall question

Finster
09-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Hi,
I have a 1959 Skyliner with an aftermarket dual reservoir power break kit.

When I look at my firewall under the dashboard where the screw for the brake pedal goes through the firewall I can see right into the engine compartment - the round hole is the size of a half dollar or a little larger. I would expect there to be a gasket or something to that effect plugging up this hole while wrapped around the rod that goes from teh pedal lever to the engine compartment.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Is that where the original master cyclinder or power brake booster would be mounted?

Thanks

WILLS RESTORATIONS
09-19-2013, 04:58 PM
You are correct. That is where the original m/cyl mounted. I am surprised the kit you used did not include a seal of some sort. At this point you will probably have to fabricate something. Hope this helps.
Bill

Finster
09-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks for your reply. Do you have any idea where domeone would normally install an aftermarket power break booster kist. Mine is installed on the driver side wheel well. I was curious why they wouldnt install it in teh same spot as teh original?
Thanks

WILLS RESTORATIONS
09-20-2013, 10:28 PM
The factory installations put the vacuum reservoir in the open void between the lf fender & the lf a pillar. To install an aftermarket or dealer installed kit into that location would require removing the lf fender. Therefore it is common for many later installations to be on the inner apron.
Bill

Gizmoe1164
12-26-2013, 12:27 PM
I have an after market dual res power brake booster kit with proportional valve on my 59. Disc in the front still drums in rear. Vaccum line running directly to the intake manifold. Works fine, using original 14 inch wheels.